I realized this week that there is a LOT of trust required of an art student for his/her art teacher. Yes, *I* know the steps they need to take to make that blank sheet of paper resemble the demonstration piece, but sometimes it’s hard for the children to believe that what they are doing will get them there!
First and second grades began a scratch-art project this week. The demo I showed them is actually in stages of completion. Part of the paper is only the rainbow of colors laid down in oil pastel, while the rest shows the black acrylic paint overlaid, with the spider web scratched out. Still, once students had striped their papers in brilliant colors, they looked at me in amazement when I told them to cover it in black paint. Some even gasped! LOL! I have 18 sheets of black squares now, some with brilliant hues still peeking through because students couldn’t imagine making it such a solid black. By this time next week, I will have delighted students, amazed at their beautiful webs, which we will post on our school site at Artsonia. Thank you to http://kidsartists.blogspot.com/ for the great idea. It tied in perfectly to their classroom reading of Charlotte’s Web!
Kindergarten also meets on Thursdays, and we read one of my favorite books introducing secondary colors: White Rabbit’s Color Book. This book also introduces the concepts of cool and warm colors, but best for me, the color changing character is a RABBIT. How perfect for introducing printing technique to little ones? We used large bottle caps, which we imagined to be bunnies. Bunnies hop; they don’t wallow like piggies, or scoop like shovels. They hop, and maybe dance a little. Our cap bunnies hopped into blue paint and hopped back out onto our paper and left a little bunny print. They did this several times, and then, like the character in the book, they “showered” on a damp paper towel. Then our bunnies hopped into red and back on the paper near another bunny print, and did a little turn. When things worked just right, one circle’s colors picked up a little of another circle’s colors, and shades of secondary colors began to appear in their artwork! Of course, some of the artitsts got pretty excited about that, and began to smear their bunny caps around a bit much. But how wonderful that they understood they were making their own colors not available on the palette! They had only been given three colors, but their art had as many colors as mine did. Here is the sample piece, actually done in a cheap paint that I would never use with the students. Their artwork on Artsonia is in vibrant primaries!