I finally had some time to paint for fun. I have fun painting kid art, too, but it’s not the same. Interestingly, though, both pieces I worked on this weekend sprang from models I originally created for lessons.
The koi for the kids was so quick and simple, I had to see what I could do with it. This is just what I have done so far with the transparent color. It was also my first time to really work with the masking fluid, and I find it awkward and bulky. I see I will really need to play with it a lot before I can control it to accomplish what I REALLY envision. This koi needs better proportions: his nose is too pointy and his fins are a little too far forward. Otherwise, I think he turned out pretty well. I think I have given him all the depth my limited knowledge will afford. My next step is to see if I can add some maple leaves, either overhanging, or fallen onto the water, and for those I will use my gouache to contrast with the transparency of the water. I don’t know when I’ll have time for that, but I hope it isn’t weeks!
The pumpkin was inspired by an Artsonia student project, and I have changed my schedule to include it! I only hope I can make it accessible to 3rd and 4th graders, because they were the only older class with an interchangeable project. Besides, they ASKED to do my pumpkin!